Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Voter Education Required?

Yes, I did vote today. I was in and out in about 30 minutes, not too bad. As the election was approaching I tried to do my best to educate myself about the various candidates and propositions. Many of these votes will determine the outcome for the next several years if not longer. I felt like it was my duty to be informed. I hope that everybody else in America was well informed about their decision and did their research before they cast their vote. However, I feel that is not the case.

I think many people rely on news media and commercials to determine their vote. Don't get me wrong they both are pretty good resources but each has their bias views. I tried to view each side of the media; in the morning before work I try to watch Fox News and MSNBC so that I get a balance of conservative and liberal views. It has been interesting to view each news stations spin on various items.

As many of you know AZ had a proposition to add an amendment to the AZ Constitution to define marriage. There has been many commercials flooding the air ways about both sides of this decision. As watching these commercials and what the opposing side was stating in their commercial I was appalled by the flat out lies and the misleadings. If voters aren't informed how do they know that the commercials are misleading.

If you plan to vote please be educated about your decision no matter what side of the fence you fall.

1 comment:

Julie said...

You couldn't be more right on this one! I should of educated myself more before I voted. I only payed attention to the presidential stuff and should of educated myself more on the local politics.