Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Reflection...

Today I attended a funeral of a friend from work that was taken from this earth way to early. As I reflected on the principles that were taught at the funeral I can't help to reflect on the passing of my brother, Darin, earlier this year.

Susan and Darin had a lot in common. They both were both diagnosed with types of cancer that some one their age should never get. Darin was diagnosed with lung cancer June 2007 and passed away March 2008 at the age of 30. Susan was diagnosed with colon cancer in July 2008 and passed away last week at the age of 25.

As I attended Susan service today I had to a chance to reflect on the life of my dear brother. He was such a great example to me and the rest of my family.

I have so many great memories of Darin. Since he was just older that me we spent a lot of time together. Darin was the brother that taught me to hit properly. Of course I think he regretted it after because I constantly used him as a punching bag. When ever I got stuck on a math problem Darin was the person to ask for help. So reason he always knew the answer. Darin also like tell me about all the trivial knowledge that he knew that I thought was pretty useless.

I was able to spend several weeks with Darin before his passing. Those times are the times that I will cherish for the rest of my life. As I talked to Darin about his life and his future I was so grateful to feel his peace as he knew that he would soon return to live with our Heavenly Father. I am grateful for those special moments that we shared and the advice that he gave me. He knew that this was the plan that he had chosen from the beginning and that there were other plans for him in the after world. One of those days that I spent with Darin he said to me, "Jolynn, I am ready to go home. I don't want to be here anymore" At the time I thought that he was just giving up but now I know that his mission was complete and that he was no longer needed in this world. I knew there was a bigger plan for him on the other side and that his work would continue in the after life.

Darin, I miss you and love you. I cherish every memory that we had together. Thanks for being such a great big brother.

2 comments:

Lisa Mc said...

Happy birthday one day late! It sure looks like everything is going well for your cute little family. Love the family pics by the way. Grant is absolutely darling. If you come to Utah soon, please call me. I'd love to get together. Love, Lisa

Julie said...

I am so sorry to hear about your brother. I had no idea. What a great tribute to him!