Friday, January 23, 2009

MONEY MONEY MONEY...

Lately I juts feel like we spend spend spend. Well several months ago I found a blog that gave the idea of a "No spend Month". The blog is about a family's journey living on a very strict budget for 31 days. I thought it was such a great idea and decided that I needed to try it some time.

Well the time has finally come to try it. However, Mike and I are only going to try it for 28 days since that is how many days are in February. Basically we are going to be living off $250 for the entire month. The $250 is going to cover: food, household items, gas, entertainment, and other basic needs. Don't get me wrong it is going to be tough, but I think we will learn something about our spending habits and hopefully change some of those spending habits.

The blog I was reading gave some really good tips on eating healthy on a budget and trying not to buy the excess things that we buy. I am totally guilty of looking for things that will help improve my life when I am at the store, but do I really need those things.

I already know it is going to be tough. I know there are somethings that I won't compromise on. But hopefully it will make me more creative in my thinking and in my meal preparation.

Here is the blog is you would like more information: http://smallnotebook.org/2008/07/01/july-is-no-spend-month-whats-it-about/

I think everybody should try it just to see if you can do it, but you may have to change some of the rules to fit your family needs.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

You are going to have to tell me how you do! I think my pit fall would be knowing that next month I was doing this, and I would stalk up on some grocery items, and overspend the month before. Who knows, but it sounds intriguing!

tnllunt said...

You know I've really been thinking about this and I think we are going to try this... not sure if maybe I might need to do a little more than $250 with my family of 9! But I think I want to add something else to this and that is to take the money that I would have normally spent out of my grocery budget and what is left over after a "no-spend" month put that into a savings account?! Thanks for getting me really thinking!