Sunday, February 8, 2009

Week 1 - NO Spend Month

We are through our first week of our STRICT budget. I think it went pretty well this week. However, we did spend $67. Now don't freak out because $40 of that was diapers. I did look into buying a smaller pack of diapers but couldn't justify buying them because the cost per diaper is so much more. I had Mike make the dreaded trip to Costco just to buy diapers. I wasn't sure if he could resist the muffins or the other great things Costco sales. However, to my surprise he just bought diapers and grapes.

I did go out with some friends for dinner this week but I made sure that I bought the cheapest item on the menu which was just the soup and salad which is what I wanted in the first place.

We did pretty good on our meals this week. I had quite a few vegetables left over that I didn't use the week before. I already had meat and some frozen vegetables in the freezer that were part of my normal buying for January. We have lettuce in our garden right now and we should be getting some peas and some beets later this month.

Once we decided that we should try this our first instinct was to stock up on items. I tried really hard not to stock up on items when I went to the grocery store. I bought the way I would normally buy. I always buy my meat and chicken in bulk so I usually have enough to last me a month or longer thanks to our second freezer.

Week 2 I think might be harder because it is almost time to fill the cars with gas and I may feel the need to do a big grocery store trip even though I don't need it.

Stay tunned for more adventures.

3 comments:

Susanne said...

Good for you!!!

Watch out for them beats. We had beats from our garden one night this week--they did something unexpected to my digestive system. The boys had a lot of fun turning their tongues burgandy, though.

Mom of four said...

I'm glad you posted a summary of the first week. I was going to ask how it's going.

Sunny said...

I'm with you on the cost of diapers! it's rediculous! I have two that are in diapers so it's at least $80 a month or more you know how that goes! anyway your little man is so dang cute!