Monday, November 15, 2010

Survival

The last 3 months my little family has been in survival mode. We have been trying to survive while Mike is gone all week. It comes with its challenges and its blessings but mostly challenges. I have gained a GREATER respect for single parents.

When Friday hits I have usually had enough and can't wait until Mike comes home. Some days are much harder than others but we seem to survive and make it through. There are days that I just want to go somewhere without my kids or run errands without my kids. However, they are quickly learning that they get to come with me everywhere. For the most part they are pretty good troupers.

I barely have time to get the basic cleaning done: bathrooms, dishes, kitchen, beds made, laundry, and some times vacuuming. A lot of times Mike comes home and he gets to vacuum and mop the floors. I don't think that is what my husband is looking forward to after being away all week. Oh well it is what it is.

I have been trying to run errands during Lincoln's morning nap which in turn throws off the rest of the day. But I think now I have found my sanity (I know it is about time). The last few days I have been trying to run errands before Lincoln's morning nap. That means I need to get out of the house by about 8 or 8:30. That also means that I need to stop working by 7:30 so I can get the kids ready to leave the house and hopefully have the beds made before we leave. So far it has been working out really well.

Today we had a great day. We left the house just before nine because the kids slept in a little bit and ran to the post office and then off to the park for 45 min. Lincoln did fall asleep on the way home but only for a few minutes. The day went a lot smoother and we were even able to go for a walk this afternoon since the boys woke up about the same time.

I am hoping that we now have it figured out; well for the most part. (But in thinking about it what am I going to do when I have to run errands to a store that doesn't open that early. Let's not get to ahead of ourself because I might just revert back to my survival mode.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Seriously?! Making the beds before you leave is a priority?! Goodness, you are NOT in survival mode if that's the case. Beds are pretty well the last thing on my list when I'm on "crunch time" mode. I do as many 'outside the house' things as I possibly can before I have to be "trapped" inside for routine stuff, such as naps.

What a great housewife and mom you are!