Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Saving Summer

As a child I grew up with a mom and Grandma that canned and canned. I HATED it and would usually try to get out of it with every possible excuse. However, I loved it when we had peaches and corn in the middle of winter but I hated the whole process of peeling, cutting, and jarring the fruit and vegetables. Now as an adult I love it because I know the outcome is going to be great. (Maybe I won't love it anymore once I have done all the work, but thankfully there is a whole year until I need to do it again so maybe I will forget the work that I put in).

Arizona has a totally different growing season than what I grew up with in Utah. So I have already canned stewed tomatoes and froze spaghetti sauce and I even made a special trip to Utah to can peaches, green beans, salsa, and freeze corn. Thankfully I have great family members that grow great gardens.

Just thinking about those yummy peaches and sweet corn is making me hungry. Hopefully I will be enjoying the fruits of my labor all winter (if I can only keep Mikey's hands off the peaches).

3 comments:

Robyn said...

All I really need to say is YUM.

Dianne said...

I'm impressed, Jo! I dipped my toe in the canning pool this summer and canned strawberry jam which turned out really well. I haven't dared branch out yet, but we'll see. Looks tasty!

Michelle said...

It all looks so great!! I keep wanting to have a garden. One day... Good luck with keeping Mike out of the peaches. I am sure they are wonderful!